Linux is still considered a developer-centric platform because of its immense development-friendly features. Yet, a lot of people don’t know that it is a great operating system when it comes to exploring your creativity. If you are a music producer and want to use Linux, you have come to the right place. In this article, we’ll explain everything about the best Linux distros for music production.
Why do we choose Linux distributions?
Linux distribution is considered to be a good choice for any user because it offers many other advantages, DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), manipulation tools, countless image editors, etc. Users can use these distros in detail by going beyond their creative limits while being comfortably seated.
- The Linux distribution provides a full JACK configuration right out of the box.
- Swap settings optimized to protect RAM from resource intensive activities such as 3D rendering.
- The lightweight desktop environment.
- Built-in tools to support multiple devices like microphones, MIDI keyboards, scanners and monitor calibration.
Best Linux Distributions for Audio Production Professionals – 2022
We will describe some Linux distros that offer creators the best multimedia expertise for graphic design, music production, video editing, etc. yet, these Linux systems are no different from the popular systems they are based on, the main difference is the Linux multimedia distribution developer offers everything you need open source tools for editing audio, video or graphics out of the box. This saves users time to install them one by one. However, if you are an advanced user, you can convert your Ubuntu, Debian, MX Linux, Manjaro, or other Linux systems to a professional audio editing system by installing the popular tools. Well, still those who want to save their time or newbies, can opt for popular audio and video editing tools armed with Linux operating system given below.
1. AV Linux MX Edition
Linux AV is the best option for users who want to create or edit their music files on Linux. The latest version is based on the popular MX Linux, so you will be compatible with all Debian packages. However, the benefits for multimedia enthusiasts arise from the emphasis on particularly high stability and performance in combination with visually appealing and efficient desktops. It is well known that audio enthusiasts in particular struggle with latency in computing, for example in the context of live recordings.
AV Linux is quick and easy to install because it is available in the standard ISO file format. Additionally, the relationship with MX Linux also ensures that AV Linux has all of the tuning tools associated with MX Linux on board. Less experienced users run the risk of getting lost in the depths of the Linux AV menu as there is a corresponding tool to edit almost all system tuning screws. Power users, on the other hand, will likely find the many customization options to be an advantage.
This Linux distro also comes with a pre-configured turnkey AV content creation system. Depending on music production or sound editing preferences, AV Linux provides a complete package compared to other distributions.
It consists of a large collection of video and audio production software. In addition, it includes a custom kernel as well as IRQ capable threading for low latency audio performance. AV Linux can be used for everyday tasks and installed on a hard drive as a general purpose operating system. Users can run AV Linux directly through Live USB storage or Live DVD device.
Features of AV Linux
- AV Linux has some of the best MX tools, packages, and utilities.
- In AV Linux, the preemptive realtime kernel is optimized for low latency audio.
- It includes rapid real-time configuration scans.
- There are dependency libraries that allow self-compilation of their standard programs.
- AV Linux has the fastest and lightest XFCE4 desktop environment.
- It also includes administrator friendly custom actions and extensive audio / video functionality.
2. Ubuntu Studio for audio and video editing
Ubuntu Studio is one of the most popular Linux distros for musicians and filmmakers. On the one hand, standard Ubuntu is designed to be used by all general users, Ubuntu studio has been specially designed to offer preinstalled applications for performing video or graphics editing. Belonging to the Linux family, the Ubuntu Studio distribution installs many stylish fonts by default and provides a rich list of software. Hence, this distribution is in high demand among users. Features such as useful JACK tweaks and a low latency kernel provide it for creative users. Ubuntu studio allows users to use audio jack and pulse simultaneously.
It has Xfce as its desktop interface which is as easy to use as other Ubuntu variants. Apart from that, if users need more apps, they can download them from PPAs and repositories. Ubuntu Studio’s synaptic package manager, the update manager, is a key advantage over other Linux distributions that use the kernel in real time. The same blocks are available through the add / remove app to request major Ubuntu distributions. It gives access to a wider range of software by allowing much more frequent updates of the operating system.
Features of Ubuntu Studio
- There are many tools available in Ubuntu Studio, from live processing, mixing, mastering, recording, etc., to encoding.
- There are many audio programs available for Ubuntu Studio like Chuck, CSound, SuperCollider, and PureData preinstalled, making the environment easy for users.
- Ubuntu Studio is installed along with many other notable applications such as Yoshimi, Hydrogen, qtractor, audacity.
- Ardor (digital audio workstation) is also present in the Ubuntu studio, suitable for mixing, mastering and recording.
3.io GNU / Linux
the GNU / Linux operating system is dedicated to multimedia enthusiasts. This powerful operating system turns any computer into an advanced multimedia workstation. io GNU / Linux is based on Debian and uses the Enlightenment desktop environment. This distro offers a collage of options for developers and applications, as well as some KDE applications.
It allows users to choose between a real-time and regular kernel with a large collection of software. A wide range of open source applications are included in this distro, including video, graphics, audio, and many more.
Features of io GNU / Linux
- io GNU / Linux supports a large number of multimedia applications.
- It has several pre-installed Pro-Audio features that provide an amazing sound experience.
- Illumination powering a futuristic office environment.
- Live DVDs are available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
4. Fedora JAM, RPM based Linux for music
The Fedora team has developed the “Fedora JAM“related to music production. This famous Linux distribution offers a collection of accurate and proven applications. You can install and download Fedora applications for free. Fedora JAM inherits many features from the Fedora version. In addition, the desktop environment Gnome is also included. Fedora Jam out of the box offers JACK, ALSA, PulseAudio another program to make its JAM edition more geared towards audio professionals. Plus full support for JACK and JACK bridges to PulseAudio, the latest version of Ardor and a full set of LV2 plugins. To learn more about its tools, see the official blog.
Features of Fedora Design Suite
- Fedora Jam Suite offers a wide variety of tools like Ardor, Qtractor, Hydrogen, MuseScore, etc.
- It supports low latency kernels
- Cutting-edge professional audio plugins for musicians and multitrack software.
- Support for the latest packages
One more to watch:
GNU / Linux operating system Apodio includes tools like video, graphics, friendly audio for text. It is based on Ubuntu. Not very popular like Ubuntu Studio but you can be used for audio production thanks to the pre-installed tools. Users can use it on hard drive partition or as a live USB / CD.
The Linux distro punch, Apodio, may seem old or dated. Even though Apodio’s documentation is limited, it’s still part of the well-organized Mandriva-based project. Despite its Ubuntu support, it provides an easy to use Xfce desktop. The default user is “Apodio” and the password is “linux”
Features of Apodio
- Apodio supports different types of tools for audio effects, 3D modeling, digital painting, and graphic editing.
- It has a powerful software synthesizer.
- It also includes options for multitrack audio recording, mixing and editing.
- It has audio and video production workflow features.
- Apodio also supports the tools in the coding suite.
In this article, we have seen which are the best Linux distributions for music production. This article can greatly help users to select the best Linux distributions based on their needs. We hope that with the help of this article you will get all the information you need. Apart from that, if you want more information, you can contact us freely and without hesitation.